A baby is not just for Christmas

If you like Educating Mum then please check out my other blog:
http://ababyisnotjustforchristmas.blogspot.com/


Wednesday 13 October 2010

Thank you Mr Brown...

Funny how a moment can change everything!

I was sitting in my biology class last night when I discovered that the only thing worse then the exploration of bacterial cells is the realisation that all the work may be for absolutely nothing.   


We were discussing the governments proposed cuts to NHS funding for training and the lifting of the tuition fees cap. This would mean that Universities could charge whatever they like, possibly somewhere in the region of £7,000 a year. That coupled with the potential rise in interest rates on student loans means that I cannot possible afford to go to University at this time. 

Unfortunately we fall firmly into the category that will suffer the most. We are not poor enough to apply for help but we are not rich enough to afford to pay for the privilege of an education. Especially when my proposed career choice will see my starting salary coming in less than what I owe in fees for the training I had to acquire, in order to work in that job in the first place.

Then there is the other sad truth to be faced, that even if by some feat I found the money to go to University and cover the cost of Emily's child-care, it is likely that there will be a shortage of jobs to apply for. NHS job cuts seem imminent and so people will all be vying for the same jobs, so potentially I could be up against people with much more on the job experience than my, freshly trained, new out of University ass, could compete with! 

Can I get a 'B' please Bob? A 'B' for bo*locks!!! All of it! As you can tell I'm feeling a little sorry for myself today. I am once again a ship without a rudder, and it would appear a sail, a helm, a captain, any oars or a life jacket. 

So basically just me in a big boat, in the middle of the ocean, completely screwed!!!





2 comments: