A baby is not just for Christmas

If you like Educating Mum then please check out my other blog:
http://ababyisnotjustforchristmas.blogspot.com/


Thursday 18 November 2010

Let's talk about it...

"A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron" (Horace Mann).

"Hello...can you see me over here...in the corner...that's right the woman that wants to learn?"

*pause*

"Yes you can, so why do you keep shutting me down then every time I talk?"

That's the conversation I should have had with my psychology teacher last night. 

It's so frustrating at times, in many ways the woman is fascinating and I find the whole subject of psychology really interesting. What I do not appreciate are teachers, that ask a question to the room and then fail to appreciate or even listen to the response. What is the point in asking a question if you are not remotely interested in the answer? Unless you enjoy the sound of your own voice so much that the act of asking a question is merely a spring board for you to continue talking? 

Maybe I am being a little harsh but for me learning is an interactive experience. I cannot be talked at, this will teach me nothing other than how to switch off and lose interest! 

I am the same at home, Gavin will quite often become extremely impassioned about a subject. When in the throes of one of these impassioned moments the conversation will very quickly turn from a conversation to a lecture, at which point I shut down because I just feel like I am being 'talked at'. I appreciate that we all feel the need to stand on our soap box from time to time but I am much more of a debater then a public speaker, if you get my gist.

Consequently I am finding it harder and harder to concentrate when in psychology class, last night I just felt myself becoming despondent and restless. So this poses a dilemma, do I broach the subject with my teacher or not? As a teenager I would not have dared question an educators methods, I would have just put up and shut up but that didn't work out so well for me did it?!

I just don't enjoy confrontation at any level, so I may have to work my way up to this one. I'm sure Freud would say that my superego is too controlling and I should let the id take over just for a little while...well at least something is sticking!




No comments:

Post a Comment